September 18, 2007
New TRICARE Reserve Select plan to take effect Oct. 1
By Sgt. Von Ferreira
Sate TRICARE Verifying Officer
FORT PICKETT, Va. – The John Warner National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2007 enhanced the TRICARE Reserve Select (TRS) health plan.
Under this new TRS health plan, effective Oct. 1, 2007, certain members of the Selected Reserve may qualify for health care coverage under TRS at 28 percent of the total premium cost.
Only Selected Reserve members who are enrolled or eligible to enroll in a health benefit plan under chapter 89 of title 5 U.S.C. (Federal Employees Health Benefit Program (FEHBP)) are excluded from purchasing TRS.
As part of the transition to this new TRS health plan, all enrollments in the current three-tiered TRS will be terminated on Sept. 30, 2007.
Depending upon your current circumstance, to continue in a health care program you will have to take one of the following actions:
1. If you are a qualified Selected Reservist, not enrolled in or eligible to enroll in FEHBP, currently participating in TRS, and wish to participate in the new TRS plan effective October 1, 2007, with no interruption in your health care coverage, you must complete the following steps by Sept. 30, 2007:
- Download the TRS Request Form, DD Form 2896-1 found on the Guard–Reserve TRICARE Reserve Select Portal, at https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/tsa/index.jsp.
- Sign the document certifying your non-eligibility or enrollment in FEHBP.
- Mail or fax the document to your TRICARE Managed Care Support Contractor no later than Sept. 30, 2007.
- No premium payment is necessary at this time. The TRICARE Managed Care Support Contractor will adjust all current premium structures to the 28 percent rate as of Oct. 1, 2007.
2. If you are enrolled in the tiered TRS program as of Sept. 30, 2007, and are covered under a non-premium TRICARE plan (i.e., members on active duty for greater than 30 days, receiving health care under the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP), or in an Early Identified Deployers (EID) status) tiered TRS will be terminated on Sept. 30, 2007.
Your non-premium coverage will not be affected by this action.
When the non- premium coverage ends, as a qualified Selected Reserve member, you will have the option to purchase TRICARE health care coverage under the new TRS plan with an effective date immediately following termination of your coverage under the non-premium TRICARE plan.
- To purchase health care coverage, effective on or after October 1, 2007, qualified Selected Reserve members, those not enrolled in or eligible to enroll in FEHBP, may download the new TRS request form (DD Form 2896-1) found on the Guard–Reserve TRICARE Reserve Select Portal, at https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/tsa/index.jsp
- Sign the TRS request form certifying you are not eligible for or enrolled in FEHBP. Mail the form and the correct premium payment to your TRICARE Managed Care Support Contractor to arrive no earlier than 60 days prior to and no later than 60 days after the termination of the other TRICARE coverage.
3. If you are eligible for the Federal Employee Health Benefits Program, or currently covered under FEHBP (either under your own eligibility or through a family member), you are no longer eligible to purchase TRS and you will lose your TRS health care coverage on September 30, 2007. To reinstate, or to enroll for health care coverage under FEHBP you must complete the following steps:
- See the Office of Personnel Management’s webpage at http://www.opm.gov/asd/htm/2006/06-207.asp for explicit directions or contact your local personnel benefits administrator.
- To avoid any break in health insurance coverage, reinstatement or enrollment in FEHBP must be accomplished no later than 60 days after TRS coverage ends.
- Upon termination of the three-tiered TRS, the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) will provide you a Certificate of Credible Coverage as verification of your loss of TRS coverage.
Further information about this new TRICARE Reserve Select health plan pertaining to periods of active service, additional program requirements, and Qualifying Life Event (QLE), is available on the TRICARE web site www.tricare.mil/reserve/reserveselect, or, by contacting your Sate TRICARE Verifying Officer at (434) 298-6326.
TRICARE Managed Care Support Contractors are available by calling:
- TRICARE South: (800) 444-5445
- TRICARE North: (877) 874-2273
- TRICARE West: (888) 874-937
There have been many significant improvements to the pay and benefits available to members of the Selected Reserve.
The TRS health plan is clearly one of the best new benefits now available to you.